Monday, October 26, 2009

Are there any scholarships out there for single dads who want to go to Law School.?

Here is the deal. I'm a single Dad who has custody of his child. I've been accepted to Law School. I have been told that I qualify for the $20,500 a year from the Federal Stafford loans. However, this leaves me about $40,000 a year short of what I need. I can't really apply for the Grad Plus loan, because my credit is shot and I don't have a co signer.



I've tried researching scholarships for single parents and single dads but all I can come up with is scholarships specifically tailored to single moms.



Are there any scholarships out there for single dads who want to go to Law School.?

Hmmm... Definitely go in and talk to the financial aid office at your school. Also talk to your advisor in your new department where you just got accepted. They may know of some local scholarships that could help you.... and they may have more info than an olnine search will give you.



If you have performed well enough to get accepted into law school, perhaps you could apply for merit-based scholarships that don't relate to your %26quot;single dad%26quot; status. Don't forget about that option!



Also, you should contact the people working with the %26quot;single mom%26quot; scholarships and ask if any single PARENT qualifies. Really, that's how it ought to be. Being a single parent is just as hard no matter what your gender is.



Best of luck to you!



Are there any scholarships out there for single dads who want to go to Law School.?

What kind of law school are you attending for $60,000 a year?? Unless it's Harvard or Yale, it's not worth it. What kind of school is this? Is it highly ranked, or some 3/4 tier school?



You DO know that the law market is terrible right now, right? Chances of getting a job paying $120,000 out of law school are slim unless you go to Harvard or Yale or another top 14 school, or unless you are top 5-10% of your class at a lower ranked school. Even then, its iffy. Having to pay back $180k in loans after law school is rediculously NOT SMART given the market. I think you haven't done your research about law school and the legal market.



I suggest you look at cheaper schools and try to attend those. There are many cheap, but good quality public law schools out there, you just have to search for them.



And no, I've not seen many %26quot;single dad%26quot; scholarships, and even if there were, I highly doubt you will find one for the $40k a year you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment